L-2 Category

What is an L2 Visa?

The L2 visa is a non immigrant US visa issued to dependents of L1 visa holders. Immediate family members of L1 visa holders may enter and stay in the United States by obtaining L2 visas. Eligible family members for an L2 visa include spouses and children (under age 21) of L1 visa holders.

L2 Visa Eligibility

Spouses and children of L1 visa holders with valid L1 visa status are eligible to apply for L2 visa. Eligible L2 visa applicants include:

  • Dependent Spouse of L1 visa holder
  • Dependent, unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of L1 visa holder

Parents are not eligible for L2 visa. L1 visa holders who wish to bring their parents to the US with them may not apply for an L2 visa for their parents. Parents may only visit their L1 visa children by obtaining a US visitor visa.

Benefits of L2 Visa

Spouses and children with L2 visa status may legally:

  • Live in the US.
  • Attend school in the US.
  • Work part-time or full-time after obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Apply for other nonimmigrant status including H1, F1, B1, B2, and L1 visas.
  • Apply for immigrant visas (green card).
  • Travel within and outside the US on short trips and return.

Working on L2 Visa

Spouses of L1 visa holders on L2 visa status are eligible to apply for EAD, or L2 visa work permit, and work in the United States. An approved EAD is required for an L2 visa holder to work in the US. The basic steps for working on L2 visa are listed below.

  • File for EAD card.
  • Submit application for a Social Security Number.
  • Apply for part-time or full-time work at any US business.

An EAD card is valid for two years, but may be renewed as long as the individual maintains L2 visa status. EAD application and Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status, may be filed together.

Dependent children on L2 visa status are not eligible to apply for EAD.

L2 Visa Validity

L2 visa holders are authorized to stay in the US based on the status of the L1 visa holder. The L2 visa duration for L2 dependents is a maximum 7 years for dependents of L1A visa holders and a maximum 5 years for dependents of L1B visa holders.

Documents Required for L2 Visa

When applying for L2 visa, you will need to provide the following documents for your L2 visa application.

  • CEAC Barcode printout. This is the application confirmation page, you will get once you complete the US Visa application form DS-160 online. See a sample DS-160 form.
  • US visa application fee.
  • US Visa Interview appointment letter that you get at the time of taking appointment for US visa interview.
  • Valid passport of each applicant.
  • One photograph : 2 and 2 inches square (50 mm square) for each applicant, showing full face, without head covering, against a light background. To be used in the application Form.
  • US consulates are very particular about the Photographs specifications. You must follow these guidelines for photographs required for US visa.
  • Demand draft for visa issuance fee.
  • For current visa fees rate and payment details, please visit Current US Visa Fee.
  • If the applicant is below 14 yrs of age, Original Birth Certificate of this applicant (child) is required.
  • Your original marriage certificate.
  • Entire wedding photo album.
  • A copy of of each sides marriage invitation card.
  • All 36 pages of the principal applicant’s(L1 holder’s) passport (if not applying with principal applicant). If a copy of the passport is submitted, it should be a GOOD copy and the photo must be clearly identifiable
  • Copy of spouse’s L1 approved petition. Form I-129 (if Form I-797 is a blanket permit, copy of Form I-797 and I-129) of the Principal Applicant, and letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel.
  • Spouse’s(L1 holder’s), employment verification letter.
  • Pay stubs from principal applicant’s L1’s current place of work.
  • Copy of L1 holder;s income tax return.
  • Demand draft for visa issuance Fee.

L2 Visa Application Tips

Keep the following in mind when applying for L2 visa.

  • Note: While providing the information to take visa interview and filing online application form visa applicants should indicate clearly in their Last Name and Given Name. Its often seen in the case of South Indian names that passport issuing authorities write the whole name in the Last Name field.
    Applicants should check their passport and if the whole name is given in one line, they should get the same changed from passport office before applying for a visa.
  • Both you and your L1 spouse may submit your L1 and L2 visa applications together if you are applying simultaneously.
  • It is advisable to get your spouse’s name endorsed on your passport beforehand.
  • If after marriage your last name has changed, then it’s better to endorse the change in your passport beforehand. Otherwise you will have to continue your maiden name here.
  • Make sure that the wedding album has sufficient marriage photographs. All the snaps must be very clear and easy to identify both the bride, and the bridegroom. Photographs showing some marriage rituals are must.
    **Example: Few photographs around the agni ceremony, if your marriage is hindu marriage.
  • Upon receiving your visa, carefully check for any kind of mistakes like name, date of birth, type of visa, validity date, etc.

About Us

Check out our service areas and expertise.

More About Us

Get In Touch

(734) 930-7300

More Ways to Get In Touch

Drop By

4158 Washtenaw Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

Direction and Maps