J-1 Visa is Suitable For:

  • Foreign medical graduates or physicians to pursue graduate medical education or training at accredited schools of medicine or scientific institutions
  • Foreign students participating in exchange programs to promote the sharing of knowledge and skills in education, arts and sciences 
  • Research scholars to teach, conduct research, observe, or consult on research projects
  • Au Pairs to live with an American host family
  • Foreign nationals to pursue business and industrial training programs in the U.S.
  • Professors to teach, lecture, conduct research, or consult at educational institutions, museums, libraries, or similar institutions in the U.S.
  • Employees of International Communication agencies 
  • Research assistants sponsored by the national institute of health
  • Foreign nationals to serve as counselors in U.S. summer camps
  • Foreign nationals to obtain further academic qualifications or gain practical experience/training in a specific area of knowledge or expertise
  • Foreign nationals who are recognized as potential leaders or experts to engage in observation tours, discussions, consultation, professional meetings, and training 
  • U.S. organizations authorized by the Department of State (DOS) to sponsor foreign nationals for training

J-1 Visa Notes

  • You may extend J-1 visa to complete your exchange visitor program. 
  • To change the purpose of your visit while you are in the U.S. on a J-1 visa, you must change your visa status. 
  • Important: J-1 visa holders may be subject to the two-year home residency requirement. J-1 visa holders may avoid the two-year home residency requirement and apply for Green Card by obtaining waiver. Consult us  to determine if you qualify for a J-1 Waiver. 
  • Dependents of J-1 visa holders may accept employment in the U.S. by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document. 
  • U.S. companies may establish their own J-1 exchange program. Consult with a VisaPro attorney to determine if your company meets the criteria for a J-1 exchange program.